Flights can be expensive – we want to help.
We understand that finding affordable travel is often a stumbling block for many international excursions, but with some research and a little patience you can find the perfect flight!
First, we will review some very basic guidelines, and then we will talk through some tools and resources.
- Book in advance, and try and avoid flying on the weekends and major holidays
- If possible, avoid traveling during the summer while kids are out of school, as it is prime-time for family trips
- click here to find out the best time to go to Machu Picchu
- Bring your own food and snacks to the airport (leave the liquids) – you will thank yourself when you are able to pass up the $6.00 croissant and $5.00 Snapple
- If possible, be flexible with your schedule
- Once you find your flight – book through the airline itself – this can potentially make it easier for adjustments
- Register for the awards program. Being an awards member generally ensures better treatment from the airline throughout the booking process. It also makes it less likely that you will be booted off an overcrowded flight.
- Credit card loyalty programs often have great signup bonuses that can be use for air travel.
FLIGHT FINDING RESOURCES
Here are some tools and resources that can help you find the right flight and save some money. It is best to use a couple of different tools to make sure you are looking everywhere you can. None of our recommendations are paid promotions.
Google Flights – Set your departure and destination locations, then click your departure date. With that date selected you will have a couple of different ways to visualize the cost of the flight based on a certain day – try selecting “Flexible dates” and “Price Graph”.
Scotts Cheap Flights – Scott is a guy that sits around and finds cheap flights all day. When an airline makes a mistake or offers a great sale, Scott will email you and tell you how to book the flight. He has a free subscription and a paid subscription.
Airfare Watchdog – A free airfare monitoring and alert site. It will alert you about “price drops” to a particular city. They include fares for all airlines, including Southwest, Allegiant, and some you may never have heard of.
KAYAK – Is a popular travel search engine that searches hundreds of sites at once for flights.
Hipmunk – One of the fastest, easiest ways to plan travel. Offers the most comprehensive travel search, from commercial flights, trains, and charter flights. The unique display makes it easy to visually compare results to choose the best option.
Skyscanner – Skyscanner is a leading global travel search site, providing instant online comparisons for millions of flights, as well as car hire and hotels. Search all airlines to find the cheapest flights to Cusco! Once you have found your flight, you can book directly with the airline or online travel agent. Skyscanner is free to use and never charges any fees.
Cheap Flights Finder – Cheap Flights Finder is a new start-up travel website created by a wheel chair bound entrepreneur with a passion for greatness! As entrepreneurs ourselves, we kind of dig this story…this site combines the efforts of several other flight finder sites into one awesome place. Give it a whirl and see how much you can save!
WikiVoyage: Air travel on a budget – A popular travel wiki and a good resource for traveling on a budget.
“Don’t let travel annoyances be the barrier to an unforgettable experience!”